Hello

[And welcome to my little blog.]

I'm Amanda! So happy you are here. Grab a glass of wine, read along, and let's be friends.

How to get rid of excess eggs... make a sponge cake!

Monday, September 20, 2010
At the Farmer and a Chef dinner party a few weeks ago I won 6 weeks of free eggs from my favorite local farmer's Thistles and Clover.  The problem is that Kevin and I aren't really omelet people, and I'm not into baking so we really don't have very much use for eggs.  Thistles and Clover has an amazing monthly newsletter, and one of the recipes included in the newsletter was all about how to make sponge cake.  Now, I don't know that I've ever eaten sponge cake, let alone bake it, but I was determined to give it a try. 

Here's my kitchen, 10 eggs later...



My husband Kevin managed to catch some beauty rest while I struggled with the sponge cake.  The life of a man... so hard :)

So I was already nervous about my cake as it went into the oven.  Just didn't quite look right.  Fingers crossed it would turn out...

To my dismay, here was the final product.  Still hoping that it would at least taste good... My best friend Emily called me while I was baking the sponge cake and admitted that she wasn't much of  a baker either, but normally things tasted good, even if they didn't look good.  This is obviously a terrible looking sponge cake, but maybe the taste would redeem it?

Here's what it's supposed to look like... hmmm...:

So.... how did it taste?  I tried a small bite and wasn't impressed, but thought maybe Kevin would have a different opinion.  After all, I'd never tried sponge cake before so how was I to know how it should taste? Kevin made the unfortunate mistake of sniffing it before he ate it.  His exact words were, "it smells like a dog biscuit."  He ate a bit and spit it out in the sink.  I even made him try another bite, in case he'd gotten a bad bite...same reaction....

So another baking disaster.  Maybe we're not all meant to be bakers??

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...